Professionals working in the field of Early Care and Education in Georgia can find state approved training and professional development opportunities designed and developed to fit their individual career level. Training competencies have been developed to describe abilities at three levels of competence: Beginning, Intermediate, and Advanced. These competencies guide program development, inform the approval process, and provide Early Care and Education professionals with the ability to select training geared toward their individual level of career development.
- Beginning Level Training includes the courses mandated for the first year in the field, such as recognition and reporting of abuse and neglect, health and safety and basic information such as child development, rules and regulations, supervision, and positive discipline. This is not an exclusive list and although these courses are designed to meet the needs of beginning professionals, they are often good refreshers for more experienced workers and provide new or updated information.
- Intermediate Level Training has been developed and approved for professionals who have several years of experience and training in the field, field related credentials and/or formal education. This training typically focuses on expanding knowledge and its application and refining skills.
- Advanced Level Training is most appropriate for professionals who have formal education in the early care and education field and numerous years of experience. This level of training is appropriate for those serving in leadership, management, or mentor roles as lead teachers, center administrators, program coordinators, etc. The focus of advanced level training is typically on knowledge, skills and abilities in leading and managing best practices in the field.
If you want to know more, check out these links:
- Georgia ECE Career Levels https://pdr.decal.ga.gov/documents/CareerLevels.pdf
- Choosing Quality Professional Development https://www.training.decal.ga.gov/sites/default/files/uploads/docs/choosing-quality-professional-development.pdf
- Georgia Training Approval Calendar https://www.training.decal.ga.gov/